So It Begins

I work as a software engineer. Right now I am lucky to have a really good manager. This seems to be the exception to the rule. I know that management of software projects is no easy task. But can't we identify the good traits and build those in our future managers?

There are some management skills that transcend the software field. However software projects have their own pitfalls that make this role even more difficult to do well. I want to focus in on those skills specific to success in the world of programming.

How better to approach this task than to share stories of managers past and present. This won't be all horror stories. Unlike Dilbert, I have actually worked for a couple excellent manager. Analyzing the good and the bad will hopefully uncover the key characteristics we need for good software development.