Mythical Man Month

I finally got around to reading The Mythical Man Month. This key text has been around since 1975. I actually read the 20th anniversary additions. There were a few updates. But most of the advice still holds true today. Amazing.

The book was written by the gentleman who managed production of the IBM OS/360. It is actually a collection of essays that the author penned. The OS/360 system was no walk in the park. There were late deliveries, more hardware requirements, higher costs, and low performance. I guess the hard lessons learned helped educate the author.

This text requires a lot of discussion. So I will spread out my talks about it over quite a few posts. First we need to define a couple terms used by the author. These include programming products, systems, and system products. Let's start there next time.